Beware of the pumpkins 'cos I'm sure they're gonna get you, yeah


Arrghh - the cylon pumpkins are coming to get us!


Well done to the team that completed their cylo-veg! It proved to be one of my optimistic evenings so not everyone finished but I hope you'll complete them at home - I tried to make sure all the kits went home with all the bits needed to complete them. Actually, it was a good job we didn't all get to the end as there is an embarressing typo on the handout wiring guide - the picture and the detailed sheet are fine but the resistor wiring locations were wrong on the protoboard guide (ahem!)
I've attached the correct version below. I hope that you can see that electronics can be quite easy (hey - we made cylon eyes in about an hour!) and you can do lots with a few standard IC chips. When I was scout sized I knew all the theory parts but could never actually make any of the cool stuff I wanted to, but my friend had the right book and could... Nowadays now there are lots of great internet sites with good projects. http://www.evilmadscientist.com/ and http://www.makezine.com/ are great and the theory can be checked out on http://www.kpsec.freeuk.com/index.htm (which is on my favourites so I can check I don't put any errors in my instruction pages (oops!)). If you check out projects there you'll find lots use the bits that you have - a few resistors and capacitors (you can get more from maplins for a few p), the 555 Timer chip and the 4017 Counter chip, and you have signal diodes and LEDs and a pototyping board (really useful!)! If you make a couple more things you'll have mostly earned your electronics badge...


Uh oh! Here's another... (well done scary pumpkin maker!)

Comments

Anonymous said…
well its nice to know that you have great hits here.